New York: Roger Federer said he was “sick and tired” at suggestions he dictated the scheduling at the US Open after thrashing Britain’s Dan Evans, who was hampered by a quick turnaround between matches. Five-time champion Federer motored into the last 16 by blowing Evans away 6-2, 6-2, 6-1 in only 80 minutes, the Swiss third seed taking full advantage as just one of five men who benefited from a rest on Thursday. Evans, on the other hand, complained of fatigue and stiffness as he returned to the court barely 18 hours after his four-set win over Frenchman Lucas Pouille in the second round. Also Read – Puducherry on top after 8-wkt win over Chandigarh “I have been there. I know what you’re talking about. Yeah, you could definitely argue that the scheduling was not in his favor,” Federer said. “But it’s anyway not fair for me to play my match under the roof, get it done, sit back, relax the next day while he’s battling out a four-hour or a three-hour match, whatever it is, against Pouille. “The problem already starts there. That’s tennis. It’s entertainment, and the show must go on,” he added. Also Read – Vijender’s next fight on Nov 22, opponent to be announced later “I’ve lost maybe matches this way. I’ve won some this time. Luck was on my side. There you have it. So, yeah, I understand if Danny is, like, a little bit frustrated.” Federer, though, bristled at the notion he asked for the noon start at Arthur Ashe Stadium. “I know there was questions to have a preference. But that doesn’t mean like, ‘Roger asks, Roger gets.’ Just remember that, because I have heard this shit too often now,” he said. “I’m sick and tired of it, that apparently I call the shots. The tournament and the TV stations do. We can give our opinion. That’s what we do. But I’m still going to walk out even if they schedule me at 4:00 in the morning.” – ‘Short straw’ – ================= Evans questioned that idea and the world number 58 criticized organizers for sticking him up first in the day session. “That wouldn’t be the first time the higher-ranked player has had pull,” Evans said. “The tournament would rather Roger be going through that match than me so it’s understandable.” Evans was beaten by Federer in three tight sets at January’s Australian Open but was no match for the 20-time Grand Slam champion at Flushing Meadows. “I was fatigued,” he said. “I thought it was pretty tough I was first up after playing yesterday, if I’m being brutally honest. It was a bit disappointing. “Just to try and beat him feeling tired, stiff, playing four sets yesterday, it’s near on impossible. But I actually thought he played pretty much, you know, no-error tennis.” “I actually thought I was first on today because I had doubles,” Evans added. “I actually asked the ATP guy and that wasn’t the case. It would have been nice to be second or a night match. I’m not sure who plays Novak (Djokovic) but someone’s going to get the short straw and it was me.”
TORONTO – Doug Ford’s Progressive Conservative government has come under fire for the combative tone it’s struck with journalists covering the Ontario legislature.Rival politicians, members of the media and industry watchers alike all say the obstructive tactics on display from Ford and his cabinet ministers go far beyond the partisan messaging expected in most political environments.Drowning out reporters’ questions with paid applause and producing government propaganda in the guise of an independent news story, they say, represents a misuse of taxpayer dollars and poses a threat to democracy.The government has said it uses funds from the caucus budget to fund social media accounts operating under the name Ontario News Now, which have delivered two videos so far promoting party messages.Tories have also not denied that political staffers and others on the government payroll have been brought into official news conferences to offer seemingly spontaneous applause, which has been used to prevent reporters from asking follow-up questions.Tory ministers have shrugged off the critiques and even doubled down on efforts to cast aspersions on the media, all of which is sounding increasingly loud alarm bells for some pundits.“All of these are moves to obstruct democratic accountability, which undermines good government,” said Duff Conacher, co-founder of Democracy Watch and a University of Ottawa professor of law and politics. “It does nothing to clean up politics as the Conservatives have promised to do. In fact it makes dishonest, unethical, secretive and wasteful activities more likely to happen.”Conacher said there’s a distinction between controlling a political message and deliberately using taxpayer money to produce items that look like news stories but have not been subjected to any standards of independent journalism.The first such video features one of Ford’s senior communications advisers reading a television-style script touting the premier’s schedule during his first 30 days in office before segueing to a clip of Ford enumerating his accomplishments to date.“Premier Ford attended dozens of events in 30 days, and he managed to keep a few campaign promises too,” Lyndsey Vanstone reads shortly before providing an official signoff in the style of a television news report.Health Minister Christine Elliott confirmed that Ontario News Now is paid for through the Conservative caucus budget, which is in turn funded by tax revenue.Governments are barred from distributing propaganda, according to the Ontario Advertising Act, but Conacher said people can technically argue that the caucus does not operate as a government office and can therefore be exempt.He disagreed with that interpretation and called upon the province’s auditor general to look into the matter.NDP Leader Andrea Horwath described Ontario News Now as inappropriate and disrespectful.“You’re not allowed to use public dollars for partisan purposes,” Horwath said, defending past NDP-produced videos as neutral because they recognize religious observances or touch on similarly non-partisan topics. “So putting together this partisan machine of propaganda that the Conservatives have done…it’s against the rules.”A representative from the Tory caucus did not immediately respond to a request for comment.The rounds of applause that have marked the end of recent news conferences, including one where Ford announced controversial changes to a handful of municipal governments in the middle of an election campaign, have angered many reporters.Some of them expressed their frustration when staffers applauded community Safety Minister Lisa MacLeod’s announcement that the government would be scrapping a basic income pilot program and walking back planned increases to social assistance rates, drowning out follow-up questions from journalists and heralding the abrupt end to the news conference.“Can you please stop clapping,” snapped CTV reporter Colin D’Mello. “This is a professional environment. Stop it. Take that into the legislature if you guys want to act like that.”Elliott later defended the practice as fair, suggesting staff members were merely showing support.MacLeod apologized if the applause offended anyone, but two days later referred to media accounts of some of her comments as “fake news” in the legislature.For Tim Abray, a political communications consultant who served as press secretary to a cabinet minister in former premier Mike Harris’ Conservative government, such rhetoric is troubling.Abray said times have changed since his days on a political team, adding many early Harris-era media liaisons were instructed to foster productive relationships with journalists covering Ontario politics.“Even when there were seriously antagonistic relationships between the sitting government and the press core, there was still an acknowledged understanding of the importance of the relationship and an attempt to maintenance it in a meaningful way that served the purposes of keeping the public informed,” he said. “I think we’ve kind of lost the script on that.”Abray said such tactics are not unique to the Ford government, saying everyone from former Liberal premier Dalton McGuinty to former Conservative prime minister Stephen Harper has tried to work around the media in some way.But he called Harper’s tactics particularly disruptive, citing a long-standing policy that saw reporters submit questions in advance of conversations with ministers and limited some staff from speaking to the press at all.Abray said it’s too early to tell whether the Ford government will make a habit of its recent moves, but said the early signs are deeply troubling.“When you undermine the idea of the importance of a free press, you are actively undermining one of the major foundation stones of western democratic functioning,” he said.
Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsAppProvidenciales, 14 Apr 2015 – Still silence from the PNP Administration on the debacle which involves the Desarrollos Hotelco in a court case where it is alleged they accepted $15 million dollars from a confessed Ponzi schemer. The Governor’s Office has only said that the TCIG Press Office would respond. Up to this news production, there is no word on whether the hopes that were coming with a $224 million dollar Ritz Carlton hotel contract, signed on April 2nd, are dashed. The question continues to be ‘who dropped the ball’ and the concern as Magnetic Media got feedback from business and tourism professionals, is how this faux pas will impact the image and reputation of the TCI. The TCI media core did not attend that signing of the multi-million dollar hotel agreement which happened just before Easter; but seen in the photograph are executives of the Investment Unit, Horton Realty, the Finance Minister, the Premier and the Acting Governor with Desarrollos Hotel Group President & CEO, Walter Stipa – one of the individuals named in the case. Documents obtained from the Connecticut court show that the SEC started investigating the matter since 2011 and charges were filed in June 2014. Recommended for you Related Items:desarollos hotelco, ponzi scheme, tci government, walter stipa TCI Government to Donate $100,000 for Dominica Relief Government says Desarrollos will fight law suit; Due diligence ongoing David Smith back in court; continues to fight US Extradition
No Senators vote in favor of Ocasio-Cortez’s, “Green New Deal” Posted: March 26, 2019 AP, March 26, 2019 Updated: 2:50 PM WASHINGTON (AP) — The Senate on Tuesday defeated a proposal to take up the Green New Deal as both parties shunned an opportunity to debate a comprehensive climate change plan offered by Democrats.Majority Republicans forced the vote as they seek to turn the Green New Deal into a wedge issue in the 2020 elections. Democrats called the GOP’s move a “sham” and said it carries its own political risk by mocking an issue that a growing number of Americans care deeply about.Senators voted 57-0 against a procedural motion to take up the nonbinding resolution, which calls for the U.S. to shift away from fossil fuels such as oil and coal and replace them with renewable sources such as wind and solar power.Four Democrats joined all 53 Senate Republicans in opposing the motion to take up the climate plan. Forty-three Democrats voted “present” to protest the GOP’s action. Democrats accused the GOP of quashing debate by blocking public hearings and expert testimony about the consequences of inaction on climate change.In shifting the U.S. economy away from fossil fuels, the Green New Deal calls for virtual elimination by 2030 of greenhouse gas emissions responsible for global warming.The plan has broad support among Democratic activists, and all six of the 2020 presidential contenders serving in the Senate have signed on as co-sponsors, putting it at the forefront of the party’s sprawling primary race.However, Democratic presidential candidate John Hickenlooper said Tuesday he opposes the Green New Deal. The former Colorado governor said the proposal sets “unachievable goals” and shuns the private sector.Republicans say the plan would devastate the economy and lead to a huge tax increase. They call it more evidence of the creep of “socialism” in the Democratic Party, along with “Medicare for All” and a sweeping elections reform package that would allow public financing of congressional campaigns.Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell of Kentucky scheduled the vote on the Green New Deal, saying it would force Democrats to take a stand on a plan that “might sound like a neat idea in places like San Francisco or New York” but would result in communities across the country being “absolutely crushed.”By “basically outlawing the only sources of energy that working-class and middle-class families can actually afford,” the Green New Deal would “kill off entire domestic industries” and eliminate millions of jobs, McConnell said. The plan could lead to a spike in household electric bills of over $300 a month, he said.Sen. Mike Lee, R-Utah, called the Green New Deal “ridiculous” and displayed pictures of dinosaurs, cartoon characters and babies on the Senate floor. He said he was treating the plan “with the seriousness it deserves.”Lee’s remarks enraged Democrats, who called climate change deadly serious, citing recent floods in the Midwest, wildfires in the West and hurricanes in the South.“Climate change is not a joke,” said Massachusetts Sen. Ed Markey, the bill’s lead Senate author. “Mocking it is shameful.”New York Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand, one of a half-dozen senators seeking the Democratic nomination for president, said Republicans treat climate “as a game” and said Democrats “will not fall for this stunt.”Addressing climate change “should be our nation’s moonshot” in the 21st century, Gillibrand said, calling it a generational challenge similar to the race to the moon in the 1960s.“We don’t know if we can get to net-zero carbon emissions in 10 years, but why not try?” she said at a rally before the Senate vote.Sen. Roy Blunt, R-Mo., said Democrats were being hypocritical by refusing to vote for their own plan. “I’ve never seen a bill sponsored by a dozen people who don’t want to vote on it,” he said. Categories: Local San Diego News, National & International News, Politics Tags: Green New Deal FacebookTwitter AP
I don’t know of many platforms today that don’t have support for some kind of classic game emulator. The ability to fire up digital versions of games that you acquired through perfectly legal means and play them using an emulator is legal, but the volume of people playing emulated games who don’t own an original copy accounts for significantly more than those of us who follow the rules.Emulated games, especially on mobile devices, are immensely popular, and as such Nintendo either wants a piece of the action or they want to stop it happening. In fact, they may even want both.Nintendo is no stranger to the act of defending their IP in the digital age. As any prominent YouTube channel who talks about or reviews Nintendo content will tell you, the company redefines aggressive when it comes to protecting what’s theirs. This makes the recent patent that was awarded to Nintendo downright dangerous for folks who enjoy emulated content.As of right now, Nintendo has everything they need to make sure emulators for Game Boy games are banned from legitimate app stores for good. This wouldn’t stop emulation from happening, especially when it’s so easy to side-load an app onto smartphones nowadays, but it would significantly decrease the visibility of these emulators.Alternatively, this could be the start of a bold new era for Nintendo. One in which they decide to take ownership of emulation and release Game Boy games on iOS and Android as standalone titles that they would profit immensely from. Nintendo certainly has a massive back catalog to choose from, and if these games were released in an official capacity on mobile app stores it would be instantly successful just by existing. However, that would be a massive departure from the way this company currently does business.It’s fun to hope, but eventually reality sets in and you realize we’re probably a month away from Game Boy emulators becoming an endangered species on app stores.