Tiger Woods struggles again in final round of Memorial

first_imgTiger Woods’s opening birdie bomb was followed by a long slog to a four-over par 76 on Sunday as the 15-time major champion wrapped up a tough week in his first tournament in five months at the Memorial. Woods, a five-time winner of the Jack Nicklaus-hosted event at Muirfield Village in Dublin, Ohio, made the cut on the number to keep his perfect streak of cuts made in the tournament in his 18th appearance. The 44-year-old reigning Masters champion was encouraged by a third-round 71, but could make nothing happen in a final round that included a double-bogey at the par-five seventh and five more bogeys – including a five-foot par miss at the 18th. His six-over total left him 18 off the lead held by Jon Rahm when Woods walked off the course. Birdies at 16 and 17 – with putts of 18 and 22 feet – were little consolation, but Woods insisted the week offered reasons for optimism. “I got four rounds in,” he said. ‘I was fortunate to make the weekend and made some progress ball striking-wise,” Woods said. “I’ve got to clean up on the greens,” added Woods. “I didn’t putt well all week. But as far as my swing, it felt good. I was able to hit good shots. Read Also: Hamilton to push F1 bosses for better anti-racism effort “We’ll see what happens in the near future,” Woods said. “Soon,” he promised with a smile. FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail分享 “I haven’t played in a while. It was nice to get my feet wet.” Woods hadn’t teed it up on the US PGA Tour since February, when a stiff back hindered him at the Genesis Open in Los Angeles. Continuing back trouble prompted him to sit out the Players Championship in March – which was halted mid-tournament because of the coronavirus pandemic, and Woods had opted to sit out the first five events of the tour’s restart in June. Woods, who could now find himself defending his Masters title in November under the revamped global golf calendar, was cagey about when he might tee it up next. Some pundits have suggested that could be at the World Golf Championships event in Memphis July 30-August 2, but Woods declined to confirm. “Friday was a bit off physically, but overall for my first week back, it was a lot, a lot of positives.center_img Loading… Promoted ContentThe Absolute 10 Greatest Shows In HBO History6 Incredibly Strange Facts About Hurricanes9 Facts You Should Know Before Getting A TattooBest Car Manufacturers In The WorldCan Playing Too Many Video Games Hurt Your Body?2020 Tattoo Trends: Here’s What You’ll See This YearBest & Worst Celebrity Endorsed Games Ever Made10 Risky Jobs Some Women DoCouples Who Celebrated Their Union In A Unique, Unforgettable Way7 Black Hole Facts That Will Change Your View Of The UniverseTop 6 Iconic Supercar MoviesWho Is The Most Powerful Woman On Earth?last_img read more

West Brom resume Sako talks

first_img Even just two weeks ago a deal for the 27-year-old was improbable with the Baggies having no further contact with Sako’s camp. But Press Association Sport understands talks are back on between Sako and Albion with the wide man still searching for a club with just 12 days to go until the start of the Premier League season. Albion were keen to bring him to The Hawthorns in January but Wolves did not want to sell while they chased the Sky Bet Championship play-offs. Boss Tony Pulis has been searching for wingers having signed James McClean from Wigan and has also had a £5million bid rejected by Nottingham Forest for Michail Antonio. Ex-Arsenal midfielder Abou Diaby has also been offered a contract by the club after he left the Gunners this summer. Sako, who has also been linked with Leicester, scored 38 goals in 124 games for Wolves, Albion’s close rivals, after moving from St Etienne in 2012. The Baggies have a long-standing interest in the Mali international but a deal looked dead earlier in the summer. Sako priced himself out of any move after he left Molineux at the end of last season with Albion baulking at his wage demands. West Brom have re-entered talks with Bakary Sako after the former Wolves winger lowered his wage demands. center_img Press Associationlast_img read more

SWAN Disagrees with Dalung over Team Nigeria’s Position

first_img“It is unbelievable that the Minister of Youths and Sports, Solomon Dalung, could contend that our performance in Gold Coast which brought a total of 24 medals from 10 sports was better than that of Glasgow in 2014 where the country recorded 36 medals, comprising 11 gold, 11 silver and 14 bronze medals from seven sports.“Also, given the resources that were put into our participation at the Gold Coast Games, as well as the benefit of learning from the mistakes of the past, we should have done better than ever,’’ SWAN said in a statement signed by its Secretary-General, Olawale Alabi.The association said it was its belief that the minister must have acted from an “ill-informed position’’.SWAN, going further, said Dalung by now should have been aware of the fact that sports in view of its sensitive nature to Nigerians and the role it plays in uniting the country does not deserve utterances and conduct which sway towards politicising the sector.The body expressed wonder at the fact that Dalung was expecting success from a situation where the athletes were not well-prepared, advising that adequate preparations should always be the focus before subsequent international competitions.“If not for the intervention of Nigeria’s foreign-based athletes who had better training opportunities and facilities, we might not have won any medal,’’ he said.SWAN then urged the Federal Government to stop paying lip-service to sports development, in view of the fact that it is a huge industry that has the capacity to engage the country’s youths and create wealth.Moments after the confirmation of ninth position of Team Nigeria at the Games, the Sports Minister had said that “we have done a comparative analysis and looked at the size of our contingent when we went to Glasgow. How many sports we competed in and how much money was voted? These are the factors which will confirm whether we have done better here or not. From the average knowledge of what I have, we have done better here than what we did in Glasgow.”Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram 2018 COMMONWEALTH GAMESThe Sports Writers Association of Nigeria (SWAN) on Monday in Abuja insisted that Nigeria’s performance at the XXI Commonwealth Games in Gold Coast, Australia could have yielded better results if the right things had been done.The association faulted the position of the Minister of Youths and Sports, Solomon Dalung, that the Gold Coast 2018 performance was the best in the history of Team Nigeria at the Games.last_img read more