Outspoken priest victim of fake Facebook account

first_imgILOILO City – Monsignor Meliton Oso, director of the Archdiocese of Jaro’s Archdiocesan Social Action Center, is a victim of a fake Facebook account. One of the most vocal priests in the archdiocese speaking out against, among others, the drug war, extrajudicial killings and most recently the controversial Anti-Terrorism Law, he warned parishioners not to be duped into believing that the Facebook account bearing his name was his. “I also have friends outside the country saying they were happy because now I have a Facebook account,” said Oso. “This gives me cause for worry. We don’t need false information at a time when we’re dealing with a serious public health crisis,” said Guevarra. But the maverick priest clarified, “Si Dodong Oso wala Facebook. Ang langas-langas ko lang pirme, akon lang face ang ginabokbok.” In a recent Mass at the Jaro Metropolitan Cathedral, Oso revealed that his staff called his attention to a Facebook account bearing his name. “Indi ina akon, so ‘unfriend’ (that fake Facebook account) kun pwede pa lang. Or ‘friend’ him at your own peril,” Oso warned the public. “Wala ta kabalo kon ano ina iya himuon. Please, wala ako Facebook. Salamat gid,” reiterated Oso. There has been an explosion of fake Facebook accounts in recent days, and according to those who have been victimized, the targets appear to be those speaking out against the Anti-Terrorism Bill and critics of the Duterte administration, many of whom are students such as those from the University of the Philippines, and alumni of the premier state university. They view this as a scare tactic to silence critics. The Department of Justice announced it would be investigating this sudden surge of bogus accounts on social media platform Facebook. Identity theft is a crime punishable under the Cybercrime Prevention Act of 2012./PN He warned people against engaging with the fake Facebook account. Secretary Menardo Guevarra said he would direct the agency’s cybercrime office to coordinate with the National Bureau of Investigation and the Philippine National Police to “promptly investigate” the spike in fake profiles.last_img read more

The Latest: LPGA cancels Canadian Women’s Open due to virus

first_imgThe Latest: LPGA cancels Canadian Women’s Open due to virus New Zealand was awarded the titles for leading the standings when the coronavirus pandemic stopped the series after six of the 10 men’s rounds and four of the five women’s rounds.South Africa was second and Fiji third in the men’s series. Australia was second and Canada third in the women’s.___More AP sports: https://apnews.com/apf-sports and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports Associated Press June 30, 2020center_img Share This StoryFacebookTwitteremailPrintLinkedinRedditThe Latest on the effects of the coronavirus outbreak on sports around the world:___The LPGA Tour lost another tournament when the Canadian Women’s Open was canceled because of travel restrictions and quarantine requirements from the COVID-19 pandemic. The CP Women’s Open was scheduled for Sept. 3-6 at Shaughnessy Golf and Country Club in Vancouver. The LPGA Tour and Golf Canada say it will return to Shaughnessy the last week in August next year.“I understand this was a tough decision for everyone involved, but given the restrictions faced, there was simply nothing else that could be done that would have enabled us to run the event in 2020,” LPGA Commissioner Mike Whan says.___The rest of the rugby sevens world series has been canceled and New Zealand declared winners of the men’s and women’s titles.The Hong Kong, Singapore, Langford, London and Paris legs were postponed but World Rugby canceled them after discussion with all of the host unions.last_img read more