Communicating to Americans living aboard

first_img(CIDRAP Source Weekly Briefing) – For some 2 million Americans registered with 260 embassies or consulates abroad, the US government says its Web site (www.pandemicflu.gov) is designed to provide the latest information on avian and pandemic influenza.The site was referenced in the Dec 18 report “National Strategy for Pandemic Influenza Implementation Plan: Summary of Progress,” which summarizes what federal agencies are doing to prepare for a pandemic.According to the report, the US Department of State (DOS) and Department of Health and Human Services , with other agencies, were in charge of implementing programs to inform US citizens, including businesses, NGO personnel, Department of Defense Personnel, and military family members residing and traveling abroad, “where they may obtain accurate timely information, including risk level assessments, to enable them to make informed decisions and take appropriate personal measures.”William Armbruster, spokesman for the science bureau at the DOS, said that during meetings with ambassadors or visitors from other agencies over the past year, Americans living abroad have been encouraged to use the site.Although the host government may give out information about the pandemic, he said, anyone overseas who doesn’t read or speak the national language can use the site. Having one main source of authoritative information will prevent confusion and panic, he added.And what will happen if the Internet is not working?Armbruster said that while the power may go down in one part of a country, people living in another part can still access information. Additionally, each country has a “warden net,” an embassy-controlled communication network designed to get information to Americans who have registered and are living in that country.The system is tailored to each area and includes calling people, making announcements in the media, and in some cases, driving out to individual homes. Embassies may also call town hall meetings, assuming the government has not banned public gatheringsSee the full list of pandemic planning actions at http://www.pandemicflu.gov/professional/federal/stratergyimplementationplan.html.Comments from the Editor-in-Chief:A significant number of the Americans living overseas are employees or family members of employees of international companies. Their need to have clear and predetermined plans and communication strategies for responding to changes in the pandemic threat was really brought home to me in late May. I was speaking at a meeting on pandemic influenza and business preparedness in New York City. A number of the Fortune 100 companies were represented at the meeting by their senior business continuity and security personnel. At that time the media was reporting on an emerging cluster of H5N1 cases among an extended family in Sumatra. It appeared at the time—and was later confirmed by the WHO—that 3 generations of person-to-person transmission of H5N1 virus had been documented. Rumors spread widely that the WHO was about to raise the pandemic alert level from Phase 3 to Phase 4. I asked for a show of hands how many of the companies had specific action steps in their pandemic response plans should the WHO elevate the status to Phase 4. To my surprise many companies did. I still have not figured out what the difference means from a pandemic risk perspective of such a change—and I don’t think the WHO knows either. When I asked what the various companies would do, I was shocked to learn that many of them had plans to evacuate their ex-pats out of Asia (and only Asia) and bring them back to the US. It was evidentthat there was no clear understanding of what the possible change in pandemic phases really meant for the health and safety of their employees or their family member or even the reason for evacuating them from Asia. The takeaway message for me from this story is that having an effective way to communicate with employees based around the world is important. Knowing what to communicate is even more critical. We still have lots of work to do on that latter point. —Michael Osterholmlast_img read more

Jessica Korda withdraws late from Women’s British Open

first_img  Jessica Korda, one of the top U.S. hopes at the Women’s British Open, withdrew from the first major of the year because of medical reasons before the first round started Thursday.Organizers said Korda’s issues were “unrelated to COVID-19.”Katja Pogacar of Slovenia replaced Korda in the field at Royal Troon in Scotland.Korda is No. 18, the fourth-highest American in the world rankings. Last Updated: 20th August, 2020 15:16 IST Jessica Korda Withdraws Late From Women’s British Open  Jessica Korda, one of the top U.S. hopes at the Women’s British Open, withdrew from the first major of the year because of medical reasons before the first round started Thursday. Written By COMMENT SUBSCRIBE TO US First Published: 20th August, 2020 15:16 ISTcenter_img Associated Press Television News WATCH US LIVE LIVE TV FOLLOW USlast_img read more

Satellites beat Golden Boots 3-2 in a friendly

first_imgGhana U20 recorded a narrow 3-2 win over lower-tier side, Golden Boots on Saturday at the Accra Sports Stadium as part of their pre-tournament warm-up friendlies .Liberty Professionals danger man Ebenezer Assifuah got on the score-sheet after Francis’s opener in the first-half to record a 2-1 lead over a strong opposition who were determined to hand Sellas Tetteh’s boys their first significant defeat.But Atletico Madrid youngster Thomas Partey unmasked the opposition’s defence with a powerful header from a cross mid-way through the second half to end their ambition.New arrivals Daniel Pappoe Mills – the Chelsea reserves captain and Arsenal’s Zak Ansah all had a feel of competitive action with the team as Sellas Tetteh continues to devised means to trim down the squad before they leave for Europe for the final preparations.The arrival of Inter Milan midfield talisman Alfred Duncan will soar the number of foreign-based players to six with Baba Rahman and Richmond Boakye-Yiadom to join later after helping the Black Stars with the upcoming World Cup qualifiers.Sellas is widely expected to keep all eight foreign-based players available for the tournament while thirteen places will be up for grasp by the locals. Asante Kotoko goalkeeper Felix Annan is still undergoing trials in Belgium and is expected to fly down to join the squad.last_img read more

Gor ship steadies, set for CECAFA trip

first_img0Shares0000Gor Mahia head coach Dylan Kerr flushes his tyrademark thumbs up before their SportPesa Super Cup final against Tanzania’s Simba on June 10, 2018 at the Afraha Stadium in Nakuru. PHOTO/Timothy OlobuluNAIROBI, Kenya, Jun 28- Kenyan Premier League Champions Gor Mahia will after all travel for the CEACAFA Kagame Cup in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania, on Friday after their league clash against Sony Sugar in Kisumu.This follows the club’s management and players coming to a common ground following a tiff over unpaid allowances that saw the players fail to train on Wednesday. The players were lamenting over what is owed to them after their qualification to the CAF Confederation Cup Group Stages as well as what they termed as ‘meager’ allowances from their SportPesa Super Cup win.“We don’t owe any player salary arrears and in terms of win allowances, the only game we have not paid is Tuesday’s against Posta Rangers. The only thing we owe them is the money from the Confederation Cup qualification and this, we promised we would pay 20pc of it,” Gor Treasurer Sally Bolo said.She added; “As a club it is not possible to give back everything we get. I think it was clear for the players from the word go.”The players were scheduled to train on Thursday evening in Kisumu and head coach Dylan kerr says he is disappointed at how the last few days have panned out. He has also accused an unnamed club official of trying to destabilize the team.-Club official“I am not happy with one club official because she has no right to set players to initiate rebellion. She is an official and should be in the front in trying to solve issues not worsen them. She is causing problems in the team and it is unbelievable. I think the club needs to sort this out as soon as possible,” a dejected Kerr said.He however hopes that the disruption of the last few days will not put the team’s focus off as they look to keep their unbeaten run intact and stretch their lead on top of the League standings to 15 points.Meanwhile, Kerr is set to assess Burundian forward Francis Mustafa from Rwandese league side Kiyovu Stars with an aim of signing him.“We don’t have much time because it is just one training session with him but we will see. It’s only two days to the end of the transfer window which doesn’t give us enough time to look at a player,” Kerr added.The club is looking to replace forward Meddie Kagere who left on Tuesday to join Tanzanian side Simba SC.0Shares0000(Visited 2 times, 1 visits today)last_img read more