Facebook to ban new political ads before Election Day to ‘fight misinformation’

first_imgluchezar/iStockBy WILLIAM MANSELL, ABC News(NEW YORK) — Facebook is banning all new political advertisements a week before the general election with the hopes of limiting misinformation on its platform, the company announced Thursday.“The US elections are just two months away, and with Covid-19 affecting communities across the country, I’m concerned about the challenges people could face when voting,” Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg said in a statement Thursday morning. “I’m also worried that with our nation so divided and election results potentially taking days or even weeks to be finalized, there could be an increased risk of civil unrest across the country.”“This election is not going to be business as usual. We all have a responsibility to protect our democracy. That means helping people register and vote, clearing up confusion about how this election will work, and taking steps to reduce the chances of violence and unrest,” he said.Zuckerberg said while he generally believes “the best antidote to bad speech is more speech,” there might not be enough time in the final days before the election to clear up false and misleading information.All currently approved ads will be allowed to run throughout the election cycle.Other steps Facebook announced it was taking Thursday include highlighting its Voting Information Center at the top of Facebook and Instagram, which will include video tutorials on how to vote by mail and information on voter registration deadlines for each state.Facebook said it would also limit the number of messages users can forward on the Messenger app and extend its work on partnering with elections officials to remove misinformation about voting.“I believe our democracy is strong enough to withstand this challenge and deliver a free and fair election — even if it takes time for every vote to be counted. We’ve voted during global pandemics before. We can do this. But it’s going to take a concerted effort by all of us — political parties and candidates, election authorities, the media and social networks, and ultimately voters as well — to live up to our responsibilities,” Zuckerberg said in his statement. “We all have a part to play in making sure that the democratic process works, and that every voter can make their voice heard where it matters most — at the ballot box.”Copyright © 2020, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.last_img read more

The Latest: Bears donating $2 million for virus relief

first_imgThe Latest: Bears donating $2 million for virus relief The Bangladesh-Australia series is the second in the world championship to be postponed. England returned home from Sri Lanka last month at the start of the outbreak.___Southampton has become the first Premier League club to announce its players will defer some of their salaries amid the coronavirus pandemic.The Premier League had wanted all squads to take a 30% pay cut but the move led to a standoff with the players’ union.The league has been indefinitely suspended. The WCF has adjusted its qualifying for the 2021 world championships and the 2022 Winter Olympics to compensate for the missing tournaments.Also Thursday, Curling Canada canceled all of its remaining championships for the 2019-20 season, which ends in the spring.___The International Tennis Federation is putting about half of its staff on furlough and cutting other employees’ salaries because of the coronavirus pandemic.The move includes a 30% pay drop in 2020 for ITF President David Haggerty and reductions of 10% or 20% for others. Associated Press The UCI says it is reimbursing all registration fees of canceled events to help organizers.The UCI will take a considerable financial hit from paying those fees and it also expects its Olympic revenue payment from the delayed Tokyo Games to be postponed and likely reduced.The UCI says its leadership has agreed to reduce salaries or allowances and furloughed all 130 employees of the UCI and the world cycling center.___Australia’s rugby league championship plans to restart on May 28. Indiana also has canceled the junior-senior all-star games on June 3 and the All-Star Shootout on June 6.“I am sad for the players and coaches who comprise this year’s All-Star teams,” Indiana game director Mike Broughton said in a statement. “This is a once in a lifetime experience for the seniors who made the team, but they do have the satisfaction that they are an Indiana All-Star for life.”The Indiana boys hold a 99-44 advantage in the seniors’ series while the Indiana girls lead 50-38.The move comes less than a month after the Indiana High School Athletic Association canceled the boys state tournament for the first time since its inception in 1911. ___ April 9, 2020 ___Australia’s two-test cricket tour of Bangladesh in June has been postponed because of the coronavirus pandemic.The first test was to start on June 11 in Chattogram. The second from June 19 in Dhaka.Both were part of the world test championship. The final of that tournament is scheduled for next June. Trying to find a new slot for the tests will be a challenge.Cricket Australia CEO Kevin Roberts says “the global cricket calendar is very busy but we will do everything we can to honor our commitment to Bangladesh and will continue to work with the BCB on an agreed date.” ___The Indiana-Kentucky boys and girls high school all-star games have been canceled for the first time since World War II.Officials from the two states cited measures taken by both state governments to battle the COVID-19 pandemic, including the closure of schools through the rest of academic year.The boys series began in 1940 but was not played in 1943 or 1944. The girls games were added in 1976 and have never previously been called off.The series pits the top seniors from each state and were scheduled to play June 5 in Georgetown, Kentucky, and June 6 in Indianapolis. The top juniors were scheduled to square off June 1 at Floyd Central High School near the Ohio River. Haggerty wrote in an email to the AP on Thursday that the ITF’s finance committee and board “looked at all areas where we felt we could make savings in the short term to be prepared for the return to tennis.”Haggerty also said that the group’s reserve funds are available to help individual countries’ tennis federations be prepared for tournaments and grassroots efforts once it’s deemed safe to return to competition.The ITF oversees the Fed Cup and Davis Cup, along with hundreds of lower-tier tournaments around the world.The Fed Cup finals this month have been postponed; the Davis Cup finals are scheduled for late November. All tournaments are on hold until at least mid-July.Haggerty wrote to the AP: “In these unprecedented times, it is hard to predict when we will return to tennis.”center_img Southampton says players will defer part of their salaries in April, May and June “to help protect the future of the club, the staff that work within it and the community we serve.”Southampton manager Ralph Hasenhüttl, his coaching staff and directors will also defer some pay over three months.Southampton says it has “put measures in place to ensure that all staff not deferring part of their salaries will continue to receive 100% of their pay, paid in the normal way until 30th June.”___More AP sports: https://apnews.com/apf-sports and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports,Tampa Bay Lightning advance to face Dallas Stars in Stanley Cup finals, beating New York Islanders 2-1 in OT in Game 6 The NRL has been suspended since March 23.The governing ARL Commission also says it intends to play a full three-game State of Origin series.Commissioner Wayne Pearce says they wanted to set a date and then work on finalizing a competition. It will depend on border restrictions in New South Wales and Victoria states and New Zealand opening up.Pearce says “a date is to give certainty to players and their schedules, clubs and thousands of people who are out of work through clubs and millions of fans.”He says “the situation is changing dramatically and we need to get moving. It is in the best interests of our clubs, our players, our stakeholders and importantly our fans that the competition resumes as quickly and as safely as possible.” The museum and ballfields are closed to the public, as mandated under Ontario’s declaration of emergency.___The NBA, the National Basketball Players Association and ESPN will stream a HORSE tournament on ESPN’s app.The NBA HORSE Challenge will have eight participants. The quarterfinals are to be shown Sunday and the semifinals and final on April 16.The quarterfinal matchups are Trae Young of the Atlanta Hawks against former NBA player and ESPN analyst Chauncey Billups; WNBA great and 2020 Basketball Hall of Fame inductee Tamika Catchings against Mike Conley Jr. of the Utah Jazz; Zach LaVine of the Chicago Bulls against NBA retiree and ESPN analyst Paul Pierce; and Chris Paul of the Oklahoma City Thunder against Allie Quigley of the WNBA’s Chicago Sky. The Bears gave $250,000 to the Chicago Community COVID-19 Response Fund on March 20, and they said they plan to donate $250,000 each to three other causes — the Advocate Charitable Foundation’s Relief Fund for Critical Care, Illinois COVID-19 Response Fund and the University of Chicago’s Community Support Programs.“We will be forever grateful to the healthcare providers, first responders, grocers, sanitation workers, janitors and everyone keeping our communities healthy and safe during this time,” Bears president Ted Phillips said. “Please continue to do your part and stay home so we can slow down the virus and save lives.”___The World Curling Federation has canceled its championships this year.The men’s, women’s, mixed doubles and senior championships will not be held in 2020. The events had already been indefinitely postponed because of the coronavirus pandemic. The Canadian Olympic and Paralympic track and field trials for next year’s Tokyo Games will remain in Montreal.Athletics Canada announced Thursday that the trials will take place in 2021 at Montreal’s Complexe sportif Claude-Robillard. The event is expected to be held June 24-27.Montreal was scheduled to hold the trials this summer from June 25-28, but the event was postponed due to the COVID-19 pandemic.The trials will serve as the final event to determine the athletes nominated to the Canadian Olympic and Paralympic teams competing in Tokyo.Montreal hosted the Canadian Track and Field Championships in 2019. The last Olympic trials held in Montreal were in 1996. Players must call their shots before the attempt and dunking is not allowed. The players will be isolated and competing on separate home courts.State Farm is the presenting sponsor and will offer a prize pool exceeding $200,000 to charities working on the coronavirus response. The event will be pre-taped.___The International Cycling Union says it can get through its greatest crisis since World War II with limited damage “as long as the situation does not last longer than current predictions.”The UCI has received more than 650 requests for postponements or cancellations from organizers because of the coronavirus pandemic. That represents 30% of its international calendar. Share This StoryFacebookTwitteremailPrintLinkedinRedditThe Latest on the effects of the coronavirus outbreak on sports around the world:___The Chicago Bears say they are donating $2 million to COVID-19 relief efforts in Illinois. The Tokyo Games will take place July 23 to Aug. 8, 2021, after being postponed for a year due to the novel coronavirus. The Paralympic Games will run from Aug. 24 to Sept. 5.___The Canadian Baseball Hall of Fame induction ceremony has been postponed indefinitely because of the COVID-19 pandemic.Former Toronto Blue Jays first baseman and two-time World Series champion John Olerud, 2006 American League MVP Justin Morneau, former Blue Jays pitcher Duane Ward, and Montreal sportscaster Jacques Doucet were scheduled to be enshrined in a ceremony in St. Marys, Ontario, on June 20.The hall of fame said in a release Thursday that the ceremony and related events are postponed until further notice.last_img read more

Afghanistan’s Rashid Khan picked first in Hundred draft as Gayle misses out

first_imgAFGHANISTAN’s Rashid Khan was the first pick in Sunday’s inaugural The Hundred draft.The leg-spinner will earn £125,000 after being picked by Trent Rockets.Australia team-mates Steve Smith and Mitchell Starc will play together at Welsh Fire while David Warner was drafted by Southern Brave.However, West Indies opener Chris Gayle, South Africa bowler Kagiso Rabada and Sri Lanka’s Lasith Malinga all missed out on selection.The BBC will have live television coverage of 10 men’s matches from The Hundred next summer and up to eight live matches from the women’s tournament, including both finals.Rashid, 21, will play alongside England Test captain Joe Root, who described him as “one of the best players in the world”.“It’s going to be great to have Rashid join us at Trent Bridge next summer,” Root said.“I’ve played against him and I know he’s a fierce competitor and one of the best players in the world.”In total 96 players were selected in the first major player draft in British sport, with 474 going unsold.Lancashire and England batsman Liam Livingstone was drafted by Birmingham Phoenix, joining Eoin Morgan, Moeen Ali and Jason Roy on the maximum £125,000 contracts.Domestic players Liam Dawson, Lewis Gregory, Sam Billings, Phil Salt, Alex Hales, James Vince, Adil Rashid, Tom Banton, Tom Abell and Ravi Bopara also picked up six-figure contracts.Former England batter Ebony Rainford-Brent said the opportunities for domestic players is the “most exciting” thing about the new tournament.Ryan Sidebottom, the former England bowler, added: “It’s absolutely brilliant the homegrown players have been selected.“It happens in the Indian Premier League and the Australian Big Bash so to see the English players getting picked up for big prices is amazing.”The second £125,000 pick was West Indies all-rounder Andre Russell, who was signed by Southern Brave. Australians Aaron Finch, Glenn Maxwell and D’Arcy Short (all £125,000) were signed by Northern Superchargers, London Spirit and Trent Rockets respectively.Rashid’s Afghanistan team-mate and fellow spinner Mujeeb ur Rahman, 18, was also signed by the Superchargers – another £125,000 pick – while all-rounder Mohammad Nabi (£100,000), was selected by London Spirit.Nepal’s 19-year-old leg-spinner Sandeep Lamichhane (£100,000) was picked by Oval Invincibles, as was West Indies all-rounder Sunil Narine (£125,000).Pakistan left-arm seamer Mohammad Amir (£100,000) will play for London Spirit while New Zealand captain Kane Williamson (£100,000) joins Birmingham Phoenix.The teams have one last chance to add to their squad with a ‘wildcard’ pick next summer.The centrally-contracted England Test players were already assigned to teams prior to Sunday night’s draft, along with two ‘local icons’.(BBC Sport)last_img read more