Pat Fahy thrilled with Morning Assembly comeback run

first_img “I’ve never bullied him to get to this stage. We have eased him back to get where we are, and he has a number of options now including at Haydock over an extra mile, and the Bobbyjo back here. “Davy (Russell) liked him, and he should improve from that. However, the ground is the key and it probably won’t last like that for much longer.” Pat Fahy expects Morning Assembly to make plenty of progress after finishing a narrow second on his return from a long lay-off at Fairyhouse on Saturday. Having his first run since April 2014, Morning Assembly was beaten just a head in a rated chase, leaving Fahy to consider the next target for his Grade One-placed chaser. Fahy said: “I’m extremely happy with that. I felt coming here if he was involved over the last few fences I’d be happy, but to battle back the way he did was great. center_img Press Associationlast_img read more


first_imgDONEGAL JUNIOR LEAGUEREPORTS Old Orchard Inn Division OneCastlefin Celtic Reserves 1 Ramelton Mariners 1Castlefin and Ramelton played out a 1-1 draw in perfect conditions on Saturday in Parkview. The hosts began the brighter of the two teams and took the lead with 15 minutes played when Mark Lafferty picked up the ball in midfield, skipped past two defenders and slotted into the net from 12 yards. Ramelton came into the game as the half wore on and created half chances through Corey Mc Cahill. In the 35th minute Castlefin should have doubled their advantage but Thomas Devlin’s shot was straight at the keeper. The visitors started the second half the brighter and their pressure was rewarded in the 65th minutes when a cross from the left was turned in by Corey Mc Cahill. Ramelton continued to press for the winner but they couldn’t break down the home defence. In the 88th minute Castlefin missed a glorious chance when JP Mc Granaghan missed from 6 yards after a cross from the right wing. Referee: Victor RaineyErne Wanderers 5 Kilmacrennan Celtic Reserves 1Erne Wanderers went a step closer to securing the league title on Saturday when they defeated Kilmacrennan at the Lakeside. The home team started like a train and nearly opened the scoring inside a minute when “sticky” Ward headed just wide. Erne were having all possession and creating chance after chance but were very wasteful in front of goal. They took the lead on 20 minutes when” sticky2 squared for Peter Mc Gonigle to side foot into the bottom corner. Erne couldn’t add to the scoreline in the first half and Kilmac had an effort hit the bar. The 2nd half started with Kilmac levelling matters when JJ Fleming scored at the near post. “Sticky” Ward then scored straight away when Eamon Cleary squared to him. Cleary then added the 3rd goal 5 minutes later. Ryan O’Brien added number four on 65 minutes. The scoring was complete on 80minutes when Diarmuid Spratt raced clear to cooly finish across the keeper. A very good performance from Erne and Kilmac never gave up with a good team effort. Referee: Liam Farren.Glenea United Reserves 3 Mulroy Celtic 2Glenea reserves continued their good run of form with this hard earned victory. In the 1st half it was the home side who dominated the play but were unable to take any of their chances and on 30 minutes Mulroy took the lead when the home defence failed to deal with a ball into the box and it broke to Kevin Shiels. He fired home from the edge of the area. Glenea equalized two minutes later when after good work down the right Martin Doohan’s cross was slid home by Michael Mc Clafferty at the back post. In the 2nd half Glenea continued to take the game to the visitors and went close on a number of occasions. Mulroy were content to play on the break looking to pinch a goal. Glenea took the lead on 65 minutes when Shane Coll’s free-kick was headed home by Shane Ferry. Mulroy almost equalized on 70 minutes when Cillian Talbot got through and rounded the keeper but saw his effort cleared off the line by John Harley. Glenea extended their lead on 85 minutes when Shane Ferry got onto Sean Sweeney’s through ball and he slotted the ball home. Mulroy pulled a second goal back in the last minute when Cillian Talbot finished neatly from the edge of the box. Best for Glenea were John Harley, Sean Sweeney and Shane Ferry, while it was a team effort from Mulroy.Glencar Inn Division TwoTullyvinney Rovers 0 Glenree United Reserves 3 Tullyvinney opened the brightest with chances falling to Adam Gardiner and Jonny Corcoran but both failed to register on the score sheet. In the twenty-second minute the Tullyvinney defence failed to control a high ball and Vinnie McLaughlin opened the scoring for Glenree. The score remained 1-0 until half time. Two minutes into the second half and Tullyvinney were again caught sleeping in defence leaving Kevin Doherty free at the back post to score from close range. In the eightieth minute Vinnie McLaughlin secured all three points for Glenree when the Tullyvinney offside trap was broke down and he raced through to score from an acute angle.Best for Tullyvinney Nigel Hegarty and Jonny Corcoran .Solid team performance from Glenree.Donegal Town Reserves 1 Milford United Reserves 2 Milford United left the Hospital Field with the three points after a hard fought victory. Donegal dominated the early stages with Ryan Gallagher and David Harron getting early opportunities. The opening goal went to Milford, a corner headed home at the back post by Benny McGinley. Just before half time Milford put themselves into a commanding position when Mc Garvey’s back post header was met by Ciarán McGinley who’s well placed header nestled in the bottom corner. Donegal reacted well in the second half and forced the game. David Bustard broke the offside trap to round the keeper and get the hosts back into it. Donegal’s best chance of an equaliser fell to Gary Ward who, after a fine solo run, clipped the ball just over the crossbar with the ‘keeper stranded. Milford held on well in the end limiting their opponents to few chances on goal. Good team performances from both sides.Keadue Rovers Reserves 3 Gweedore United Reserves 0Keadue were impressive winners at Central Park on Saturday. Played in ideal conditions it was Gweedore who started the brighter and had the first effort on target after 6 minutes. By midway through the half the home side started to get on top and had two chances with Donal Rodgers and Luke Neely both shooting wide. On twenty seven minutes Keadue went ahead with Luke Neely’s shot going under the keeper. On thirty two minutes Damien Hanlon’s effort was saved. Keadue were deserved leaders at half time. Into the second half and on fifty five minutes Luke Neely struck from close range following a fine move. On the hour Keadue made the game safe when Darragh Hanlon headed home from a rebounded shot. The tempo dropped after that but Gweedore kept plugging away and were unlucky on a few occasions while the home side were happy to play on the break.A good team performance from Gweedore while Luke Neely and Donal Rodgers were best for the home side.Referee; Barry Hunter.Downtown Cup Group CDowntown United 1 Deele Harps 1The final game in “Group C” finished all level after a tough entertaining match at Errigal College. The inform Deele Harps opened the scoring after only ten minutes when a corner to the back post was headed home. Deele nearly extended their lead a couple of minutes later with a shot from inside the box by Gallagher that went narrowly wide. As the game progressed Downtown came into it with Niall Bonner goinng close on a couple occasions and the Deele Keeper pulling of some fine saves. As half time approached Downtown got themselves back on level terms when a ball down the left from Nicky Mc Garrigle found Bonner who drove a low hard cross into the box where Luke Friel slotted home at the back post. The second half was end to end with both teams creating chances. Downtown were reduced to ten men on seventy minutes but withstood some late pressure from Deele with their defence well organised by Gio Peoplesand Andrew Doherty.Best for Downtown: Warren McGinley, Niall Bonner, Gio PeoplesReferee : Gerry RoddenBrian Mc Cormick Sports Premier DivisionGlenea United 4 Dunkineely Celtic 2Glenea came out on top in this hard fought encounter. The home side started brightly and were rewarded on 4 minutes when Kevin Mulhern headed home a Denis Boyle free-kick. Glenea continued to dominate but were unable to convert a couple of chances. The home pressure finally told on 35 minutes when Ryan McFadden was on hand to stab the ball home from close range from a Sean Coll cross. Dunkineely got themselves back into the game on 43 minutes when Andrew Nesbitt got onto a through ball and he slotted it home. In the 2nd half it was the away side that started well and equalised on 49 minutes when Andrew Ward took advantage of indecision in the home defence to force the ball into the net. Glenea pressed hard to regain their lead but Dunkineely were always a threat on the break. The home side were rewarded on 70 minutes when Declan Mc Garvey’s through ball found John Harley who laid it into the path of Ryan McFadden to slot the ball into the goal. Glenea’s 4th goal came on 82 minutes when after good work down the left Ryan Mc Fadden drilled the ball across the face of the goal and Sean McBride was on hand to tap the ball home. Best for Glena were Denis Boyle and Ryan McFadden, while Andrew Nesbitt was always a threat for Dunkineely.Gweedore Celtic 2 Rathmullan Celtic 3Rathmullan Celtic came out on top in this game at An Screaban thanks to a late goal from their sweeper Patrick Patton. The game hinged on three major decisions five minutes before half time. With Gweedore in a two goal lead Rathmullan were handed a lifeline with the awarding of two penalties and the sending off of a Gweedore player for a hand ball. The two penalties were well dispatched by Eoin Sheridan to leave it two each at the break. Gweedore had raced into a lead after two minutes with Thomas Diver scoring after a great cross from Cathal Mulligan. With Gweedore soaking up the pressure they hit the away team on the break when John Walsh finished from a Mulligan’s cross. The game was turned on its head with a penalty in the 44th minute which was hotly argued by the home team and was followed up by a second on the stroke of half time when referee Mc Laughlin deemed a Gweedore player to have handled in the box. With the score at 2-2 and with superior numbers Rathmullan piled on the pressure in the second half but could not find a way past a resolute home defence well marshalled by Paul Mc Bride. With seven minutes left Patton struck from a corner to secure the points for the away team. Gweedore had a late penalty appeal turned down. Best for Gweedore: Cathal Campbell, Paul Mc Bride and Paul Doogan Best for Rathmullan: Patrick Patton and Eoin Sheridan. Referee: Vincent Mc LaughlinWatson Hire Division OneDonegal Town 4 Keadue Rovers 1Donegal Town maintained their title challenge with a solid display at home against Keadue Rovers. After an uninspiring first period, with neither side creating many clear cut chances, it was the home side who struck first in the second half. Benny Byrne broke the deadlock when he curled the ball past the keeper from outside the area. Keadue were right back in it when Sean Boyle fired home from a corner which Donegal failed to clear properly. Donegal captain JP Byrne put the hosts back in front shortly after when he flicked home an excellent delivery from Danny Mc Garrigle. Benny Byrne put daylight between the sides when the ball bounced perfectly for him to smash an unstoppable left foot volley home from twenty five yards. Substitute Stephen Curneen sealed the victory when he headed home from a Conor Mc Monagle cross late on. Best for Donegal were Padhraic Mc Glynn and Benny Byrne. Team performance from Keadue Rovers.CT Ball Division TwoDrumbar United 0 Gweedore United 1Gweedore came to Drumbar after a big win last week. This was a hard fought match with few chances made by either side but the best of them coming to the very lively Ciaran Mc Fadden. He scored the only goal of the game after 75 minutes, this came after a good counter attack which fell to Mc Fadden who shot from 18 yards. Drumbar had a great team performance with some of the younger players putting in a great shift. The visitors impressed with their good passing and runningKerrykeel’71 F.C. 3 Dunlewy Celtic 0Kerrykeel ‘71 kept their 100% home record intact with a hard fought win over a strong Dunlewey outfit. The game started at lightning pace with both teams having a real go. Mark Friel and Martin Mc Ateer went close for the ‘71 and Daniel Cannon for Dunlewey. Dunlewey had a couple of free kicks on the edge of the area however Mark Mc Conigley dealt with them well. The ‘71 went in front on thirty eight minutes with the Club’s top goal scorer Johnny Friel firing an unstoppable shot past Lee Mc Fadden. Dunlewey started the second half well and pinned Kerrykeel back for the first twenty minutes. They went close on fifty three minutes when Michael Roarty beat the off-side trap and with only the keeper to beat he fired wide. Kerrykeel got the all important second on sixty nine minutes when brilliant work from Martin Mc Ateer set up Mark Friel who fired home from six yards. Kerrykeel killed the game off on seventy five minutes when Trevor Alcorn played in Martin Mc Ateer who cooly lobbed the keeper from twenty yards. Dunlewey never stopped trying and had a couple of half chances near the end but Aidan Mc Ateer and Patrick Mc Conigley dealt with everything thrown at themBest for Kerrykeel ‘71: Aidan Mc Ateer, Martin Mc Ateer and Tony Mc BrideBest for Dunlewey: Daniel Coll and Daniel CannonReferee: Ed MooreConvoy Arsenal 6 Copany Rovers 0Convoy made a good start to the game and their pressure paid off within eight minutes. A low cross to the far post was met with a first time strike by Kieran Gillen to make it 1-0. Convoy went further ahead in the 23rd minute when a corner was sent home by Johnny Kee at the back post. Copany responded but were unlucky not to score, leaving it 2-0 at half time. Convoy started the second half the same as the first and scored within seven minutes when Shane Mc Laughlin hammered the ball into the net from a corner. Within fifteen minutes of the second half it was 4-0 to Convoy when Chris Lynch collected a loose ball at the back post and fired home. In the sixty-ninth minute Keelan Gillen crossed for Darren Harvey to drive the ball high into the net from the back post. Micky Melaugh scored in the seventy-second minute after harassing the Copany defence and pouncing on a loose ball. Copany had a few chances in the second half but were denied a goal by a great save from Kevin Kelly. Good team effort by Copany but were unable to affect a good display by the Convoy team at home.Bonagee United 2 Glenree United 1Bonagee took the lead on twelve minutes when Kevin Doran won the ball wide on the left and cut inside and hammered home from twenty five yards. Glenree came close with strikes on goal from Daniel Mc Groddy, Michael Gallagher and Damien Nelis. Kevin Doran came close for Bonagee on twenty six minutes but Giles in the Glenree goal tipped the ball over the bar. Nicholas Nellis for Glenree shot wide on thirty five minutes after a good cross from Robert Moore. Glenree had the ball in the Bonagee goal on fifty eight minutes following a free kick which was headed into the net by Nicholas Nelis but the referee gave a free out for a foul on the keeper. Bonagee got the second goal on the hour when Kevin Doran played a great through ball to Darren Coyle on the half way line and the Bonagee striker held off the defender and hammered the ball past keeper Giles from the edge of the box. Glenree scored on sixty eight minutes when Nelis beat two defenders down the left and found Mc Groddy on the edge of the box and his shot found the bottom corner of the net. Both teams had chances to score in the last ten minutes but poor finishing and good ‘keeping by both keepers saw the game finish in favour of the home team. Team efforts by both sides. Referee: Denis O’ DonnellWhitestrand United 0 Letterbarrow Celtic 1Whitestrand today lost ground in the promotion push with a shock 1- 0 defeat against a battling Letterbarrow side . Whitestrand deserved to lose a game in which they simply failed to turn up . The Letterbarrow winner came from a magnificent free kick that wouldn’t have looked out of place in the Premiership . Whitestrand tamely tried to get level but a James Gallagher chance in the first half was about as good as it got for them .Ulster Junior CupMilford United 1 Lifford Celtic 2Milford United were defeated at home on Sunday by Lifford Celtic in the Quarter Final of the Ulster Junior Cup. The reigning champions took the lead mid-way through the first half when a well worked team goal was finished by Peter Doherty. Lifford however hit a purple patch in the second half and a pair of goals from Gavin Gallagher and Damien Patton, within five minutes of each other, ensured their path through to the Semi Final stage of this prestigious competition. Best for Milford were Paddy Peoples and Paul Shields while Lifford produced a good team performance. Referee: Paddy Martin.Kilmacrennan Celtic 1 Killylough F.C. 3Kilmacrennan crashed out of the Ulster cup after a poor performance against a spirited Killylough. The visitors were first to the breaking ball in the early stages of the game and this theme was to continue for the entire game. Kilmac had chances early on but on each occasion failed to hit the target. The opening goal came in the middle of the first half when Ronan Stirrat raced in front of the Kilmac defence and coolly converted a Declan Treanor cross. Kilmac had an opportunity to equalise though Aidan Friel, who’s well struck effort smashed against the side netting. In the second half Kilmac showed some signs of urgency but were caught on the break when Emmet Crudden blasted home from close range. The visitors caught Kilmac on the break once again with five minutes remaining when an unmarked Declan Treanor finished from twelve yards. Kilmac were awarded a penalty with ninety minutes played when Timmy Burke was fouled in the box. Michael Mc Laughlin sent the keeper the wrong way for a consolation goal.Team effort from Kilmac with Declan Treanor best for the visitors.Referee: Joe McHughDONEGAL JUNIOR LEAGUERESULTSOld Orchard Inn Division OneCastlefin Celtic Reserves 1 v 1 Ramelton MarinersErne Wanderers 5 v 1 Kilmacrennan Celtic ReservesGlenea United Reserves 3 v 2 Mulroy CelticGlencar Inn Division TwoTullyvinney Rovers 0 v 3 Glenree United ReservesDonegal Town Reserves 1 v 2 Milford United ReservesKeadue Rovers Reserves 3 v 0 Gweedore United ReservesDowntown Cup Group CDowntown United 1 v 1 Deele HarpsBrian Mc Cormick Sports Premier DivisionGlenea United 4 v 2 Dunkineely CelticGweedore Celtic 2 v 3 Rathmullan CelticWatson Hire Division OneDonegal Town 4 v 1 Keadue RoversCT Ball Division TwoDrumbar United 0 v 1 Gweedore UnitedKerrykeel’71 F.C. 3 v 0 Dunlewy CelticConvoy Arsenal 6 v 0 Copany RoversBonagee United 2 v 1 Glenree UnitedWhitestrand United 0 v 1 Letterbarrow CelticUlster Junior CupMilford United 1 v 2 Lifford CelticKilmacrennan Celtic 1 v 3 Killylough F.C.Carndonagh F.C. 3 v 0 Curragh AthleticLeague table for Brian McCormick Sports Premier LeagueTeam Played Won Lost Drawn Goals For Goals Against Goal Diff PointsGlenea United 11 8 1 2 25 11 14 26Rathmullan Celtic 11 7 3 1 29 11 18 22Kilmacrennan Celtic FC 10 7 3 0 22 12 10 21Lifford Celtic FC 10 7 3 0 18 11 7 21Gweedore Celtic 14 6 7 1 17 28 -11 19Dunkineely Celtic FC 13 4 6 3 32 32 0 15Lagan Harps FC 12 4 5 3 15 23 -8 15St Catherines FC 13 4 7 2 22 26 -4 14Milford United FC 10 4 5 1 18 16 2 13Castlefin Celtic 12 0 11 1 9 37 -28 1League table for Watson Hire Division OneTeam Played Won Lost Drawn Goals For Goals Against Goal Diff PointsCranford FC 14 9 3 2 38 19 19 29Donegal Town FC 13 9 3 1 29 13 16 28Curragh Athletic FC 12 7 0 5 38 8 30 26Eany Celtic FC 14 7 4 3 27 20 7 24Cappry Rovers 13 6 4 3 30 20 10 21Keadue Rovers FC 12 4 3 5 26 21 5 17Drumoghill FC 13 4 7 2 20 30 -10 14Ballybofey United FC 13 2 5 6 14 25 -11 12Raphoe Town 13 1 10 2 14 52 -38 5Arranmore United 13 1 11 1 9 37 -28 4League table for CT Ball Division TwoTeam Played Won Lost Drawn Goals For Goals Against Goal Diff PointsBonagee United FC 14 10 3 1 36 26 10 31Kerrykeel 71 FC 14 10 4 0 44 19 25 30Gweedore United FC 12 9 3 0 42 12 30 27Whitestrand United FC 14 9 5 0 32 20 12 27Dunlewey Celtic 12 7 3 2 27 21 6 23Glenree United FC 14 7 5 2 29 24 5 23Convoy Arsenal FC 14 3 10 1 25 42 -17 10Letterbarrow Celtic FC 13 3 9 1 11 35 -24 10Copany Rovers FC 14 1 9 4 20 49 -29 7Drumbar FC 13 1 9 3 16 34 -18 6League table for Old Orchard Inn Division OneTeam Played Won Lost Drawn Goals For Goals Against Goal Diff PointsErne Wanderers FC 12 9 2 1 38 17 21 28Glenea United 13 6 3 4 23 16 7 22Ramelton Mariners FC 12 5 3 4 24 23 1 19Fintown Harps AFC 11 5 3 3 25 17 8 18Glencar Celtic 11 4 3 4 22 26 -4 16Castlefin Celtic 12 4 6 2 21 23 -2 14Mulroy Celtic 12 4 7 1 21 23 -2 13Kilmacrennan Celtic FC 11 2 5 4 17 29 -12 10Gweedore Celtic 8 0 7 1 8 25 -17 1Kilmacrennan Celtic FC 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0League table for Glencar Inn Division TwoTeam Played Won Lost Drawn Goals For Goals Against Goal Diff PointsDeele Harps FC 8 8 0 0 32 6 26 24Donegal Town FC Reserves 11 6 3 2 28 17 11 20Glenree United FC 11 5 4 2 19 15 4 17Keadue Rovers FC 11 4 4 3 25 18 7 15Downtown United FC 9 4 2 3 16 15 1 15Milford United FC 10 4 5 1 12 31 -19 13Cranford FC Reserves 9 2 4 3 11 18 -7 9Gweedore United FC 10 3 7 0 15 24 -9 9Tullyvinney Rovers 9 1 8 0 10 24 -14 3League table for Downtown Cup Group ATeam Played Won Lost Drawn Goals For Goals Against Goal Diff PointsGlenea United 4 4 0 0 16 4 12 12Erne Wanderers FC 4 3 1 0 24 8 16 9Cranford FC 4 1 2 1 6 11 -5 4Milford United FC Res 4 1 3 0 5 10 -5 3Tullyvinney Rovers 4 0 3 1 4 22 -18 1League table for Downtown Cup Group BTeam Played Won Lost Drawn Goals For Goals Against Goal Diff PointsFintown Harps AFC 3 3 0 0 12 4 8 9Donegal Town FC Res 3 1 1 1 4 6 -2 4Keadue Rovers FC 3 1 2 0 6 5 1 3Kilmacrennan Celtic FC Res 3 0 2 1 4 11 -7 1League table for Downtown Cup Group CTeam Played Won Lost Drawn Goals For Goals Against Goal Diff PointsDeele Harps FC 4 3 0 1 12 3 9 10Downtown United FC 4 2 1 1 7 4 3 7Ramelton Mariners FC 4 2 2 0 8 6 2 6Gweedore United FC Res 4 2 2 0 6 12 -6 6Glenree United FC Res 4 0 4 0 7 15 -8 0League table for Downtown Cup Group DTeam Played Won Lost Drawn Goals For Goals Against Goal Diff PointsMulroy Celtic 2 1 0 1 5 3 2 4Glencar Celtic 2 1 1 0 6 6 0 3Castlefin Celtic Res 2 0 1 1 3 5 -2 1DONEGAL JUNIOR LEAGUEFIXTURESSATURDAY 2-3-2013 K.O. 2 p.m. (Unless Stated)Old Orchard Inn Division OneRamelton Mariners v Kilmacrennan Celtic ReservesFintown Harps AFC v Castlefin Celtic ReservesGlencar Celtic v Erne WanderersGlencar Inn Division TwoDeele Harps v Cranford United ReservesGlenree United Reserves v Milford United ReservesDowntown United v Donegal Town ReservesTullyvinney Rovers v Gweedore United ReservesSUNDAY 3-3-2013 K.O. 2 p.m. (Unless Stated)Brian Mc Cormick Sports Premier DivisionKilmacrennan Celtic v Glenea UnitedMilford United v Lifford CelticRathmullan Celtic v Lagan HarpsCastlefin Celtic v Dunkineely CelticWatson Hire Division OneDonegal Town v Arranmore United (K.O. 1p.m.)Eany Celtic v Keadue RoversCappry Rovers v Curragh AthleticBallybofey United v Drumoghill F.C.CT Ball Division TwoDunlewy Celtic v Drumbar UnitedLetterbarrow Celtic v Gweedore UnitedDONEGAL LEAGUE – ALL THE GAMES, GOALS, RESULTS AND FIXTURES was last modified: February 24th, 2013 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:Donegal Junior LeaguefixturesResultstableslast_img read more