Fifth AmendmentgropingKevin Spacey

first_img Fifth Amendment|groping|Kevin Spacey BOSTON — Prosecutors have dropped a case accusing Kevin Spacey of groping a young man at a Massachusetts resort island bar in 2016.The Cape and Islands district attorney said Wednesday that they dropped the indecent assault and battery case brought against the actor last year.Spacey was accused of getting an 18-year-old man drunk and then groping him at a Nantucket restaurant and bar where the teen worked as a busboy.Spacey denied the allegations.The case was hobbled after Spacey’s accuser invoked his Fifth Amendment right against self-incrimination and refused to testify about text messages the defence claims were deleted.The accuser had been ordered to testify about a cellphone he used the night of the alleged assault. He was supposed to turn it over to the defence but said it was missing. Prosecutors drop groping case against Kevin Spacey FILE – In this June 3, 2019 file photo, actor Kevin Spacey listens to attorney Alan Jackson during a pretrial hearing at district court in Nantucket, Mass. On Wednesday, July 17, prosecutors dropped the sexual assault case against Oscar-winning actor, who had been accused of groping 18-year-old man in 2016 in the crowded bar at the Club Car in Nantucket. (AP Photo/Steven Senne, File) center_img Related Stories The Latest: Spacey case sank by accuser’s refusal to testifyMan who says Spacey groped him invokes right not to testifySpacey accuser could be forced to testify on missing phone by The Associated Press Posted Jul 17, 2019 1:36 pm PDT Last Updated Jul 17, 2019 at 6:53 pm PDT AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to TwitterTwitterShare to FacebookFacebookShare to RedditRedditShare to 電子郵件Emaillast_img read more

In address to Filipinos president slams authorities casual and careless approach to

first_imgAny failure by Cypriot authorities to properly investigate cases of missing persons, which in seven instances at least, led to murder by a serial killer, were down to negligence and inefficiency, not racism, an address by President Nicos Anastasiades to the Filipino community said on Sunday.He called it a “casual and careless approach”.The address was delivered by First Lady Andri Anastasiades at Saint Catherine’s Catholic Church in Limassol to mark the 121st anniversary the of Philippines Independence Day due to the president remaining incapacitated after an accident.“Although today is a day of celebration, I would like to express – yet again – the deepest condolences, both mine and of the Government and the people of Cyprus, to the families, relatives and friends of the victims of  the recent appalling crimes whose country of origins, amongst others, was from Philippines as well,” the address said.Nicos Metaxas (right) during a court appearanceThree of the seven victims of Nicos Metaxas, 35, the island’s first serial killer who was last month given seven life sentences, were Filipino woman, and one was the daughter of one of the women.“Our thoughts and prayers are with the victims, their families and loved ones, who, needless to say, have our full support during these extremely difficult times,” the address went on.It said “these hideous crimes” did not reflect the moral values of Cypriot society, its sense of compassion and inherent respect to all those who have searched for a better future on the island and had become an integral and valuable part of life.“We feel deeply frustrated, but, above all, ashamed that the acts of a person and the disregard of human life that he showed have cast a shadow on this,” the address said. “What is most frustrating is the stance of all those responsible as regards exercising their duties in investigating the reports for missing persons, which was one of sheer negligence and inefficiency and definitely not guided by any racist motives.”The president said the government stood ready to hear any any suggestions from the Filipino community that might prove useful in improving internal procedures within the police, particularly in adopting preventive measures and improving procedures “that will allow us not to have a repetition of adopting this casual and careless approach”.For Philippines Independence Day, the president extended the Government’s and the people of Cyprus’ “heartfelt congratulations and warmest wishes”.“We also pay tribute to the active Filipino community in Cyprus, one of the largest overseas communities on the island,” the address said, estimating it at 10,000 “which throughout the years established an indispensable bond between our citizens and has contributed significantly to the development of mutual respect and understanding between our countries”.You May LikeCalifornia Earthquake AuthorityEarthquake insurance that fits your future plansCalifornia Earthquake AuthorityUndoLivestlyChip And Joanna’s $18M Mansion Is Perfect, But It’s The Backyard Everyone Is Talking AboutLivestlyUndoIcePopMan Notices A Strange Hole In This Lake, So He Gets A Drone, Flies It Inside And Captures ThisIcePopUndo Authorities release five of 12 Israeli rape suspects, seven due in court FridayUndoThree arrested in connection with hotel theftsUndoNicosia will use ‘all diplomatic means at its disposal’ to counter Turkish actionsUndoby Taboolaby Taboolalast_img read more