Raipur: Four Naxals, including a couple, surrendered before police in Chhattisgarh’s Bijapur district on Monday, police said. The cadres, two of them carrying cash rewards on their heads, turned themselves in before Bijapur Superintendent of Police Divyang Patel and Deputy Inspector General (CRPF) Komal Singh, they said. Of the surrendered Naxals, Rakesh Uika (26), section commander of the Peoples’ Liberation Guerrilla Army (PLGA) battalion no. 1, was “one of the most dreaded rebels,” Patel said. Also Read – Uddhav bats for ‘Sena CM’ Uika, carrying a reward of Rs 8 lakh on his head, was instrumental in executing several deadly attacks on security forces in South Bastar since he joined the outlawed outfit in 2010, he said. He was allegedly involved in the nine major attacks, including in Bhejji (Sukma district) in 2017 in which 12 security personnel were killed and in Kasalpad, where eight jawans lost their lives, the SP said. Another surrendered cadre, Kukkem Sukku (32), who was “equally dreaded” and active as section deputy commander in military platoon no. 13 of Bhairamgarh area committee of Maoists, was carrying a reward on Rs 3 lakh, he said. Also Read – Farooq demands unconditional release of all detainees in J&K Sukku was also working as a teacher in the Mobile Political School (MoPoS) run by Maoists, he added. Sukku’s wife Somari Kadti (32), who was working with MoPoS in Bijapur, and Budhru Modiyam (30), a Janmiltia Commander in Gangaloor area committee of Maoists, also surrendered. “These Naxals expressed disappointment with the hollow Maoist ideology and their lifestyle. They also said that they were impressed by the surrender and rehabilitation policy of the state government,” the official informed. The rebels who surrendered were given Rs 10,000 each as “encouragement money”, he said, adding that they all will be provided assistance as per the government’s surrender and rehabilitation policy.
00:00 00:00 spaceplay / pause qunload | stop ffullscreenshift + ←→slower / faster ↑↓volume mmute ←→seek . seek to previous 12… 6 seek to 10%, 20% … 60% XColor SettingsAaAaAaAaTextBackgroundOpacity SettingsTextOpaqueSemi-TransparentBackgroundSemi-TransparentOpaqueTransparentFont SettingsSize||TypeSerif MonospaceSerifSans Serif MonospaceSans SerifCasualCursiveSmallCapsResetSave SettingsSAN DIEGO (KUSI) – The San Diego County Democratic Party voted 58-4 to call for the resignation of San Diego Unified School Board District B Trustee Kevin Beiser amid allegations of sexual abuse and misconduct that surfaced this week.The party’s vote in favor of Beiser’s resignation came after a discussion of the allegations made against him. The party also invited Beiser to attend the Tuesday night meeting, but he declined, according to party Chair Will Rodriguez-Kennedy.Beiser issued a statement Tuesday night denying the allegations and suggesting they were politically motivated.“We will take swift action against any public official who uses their power to abuse others,” Rodriguez-Kennedy said. “Kevin Beiser is entitled to his day in court, but we believe that he has lost the confidence of the public and will not be able to focus on the important work of the people.”A lawsuit filed Monday named Beiser and his spouse, Dan Mock, as defendants, alleging that Beiser date-raped the plaintiff and made increasingly aggressive and physically abusive attempts to seduce him between 2013 and last year.The suit also alleges that Mock failed to help the anonymous victim when he was being abused at the couple’s home.Further reporting by Voice of San Diego revealed that four other men corroborated similar interactions with Beiser in recent years. All five alleged victims were locally involved in politics in some way.Local Democratic Party officials condemned Tuesday’s initial reports of Beiser’s alleged sexual misconduct, but pumped the brakes on calling for his resignation until a vote could be taken. With the vote, the local Democratic Party joins a rapidly growing chorus of local political officials, groups and LGBTQ community leaders to call for Beiser to step down.San Diego Democrats for Equality, the Republican Party of San Diego County, San Diego Unified School Board President Sharon Whitehurst-Payne and a joint group made up of Sen. Toni Atkins, D-San Diego, Assemblyman Todd Gloria, D-San Diego, San Diego City Council members Georgette Gomez, Jennifer Campbell and Chris Ward, Carlsbad City Councilwoman Cori Schumacher, Chula Vista City Councilman Stephen Padilla and Encinitas City Councilman Joe Mosca all called for Beiser to resign from the board.In a statement issued Tuesday, the joint group said: “As LGBT elected officials who are committed to changing the overarching cultural and political climate to prevent sexual harassment, we want to ensure that every complaint is fully investigated and appropriately decided. That said, even following the principles of due process, there are cases, especially those with multiple and severe allegations, where the obvious right thing is for the accused to step away from their position. This is one of those cases.”Beiser, who was elected to the school board in 2010, is currently a math teacher at Castle Park Middle School in Chula Vista. He has also filed to run for San Diego City Council next year in District 7. March 20, 2019 Categories: Local San Diego News FacebookTwitter Officials demand Kevin Beiser resign from San Diego Unified School Board Posted: March 20, 2019 KUSI Newsroom KUSI Newsroom,
Akshay Kumar, Kiara AdvaniInstagramOver the past few years, Akshay Kumar has stepped outside his comfort zone to experiment with roles that he had never done before. And the outcome of it has been overwhelming as the Khiladi Kumar delivered back-to-back hits at the box office and has become one of the most bankable stars in the industry. After playing the role of Pakshi Rajan in 2.0 and commander Ishar Singh in Kesari, Akshay Kumar will now be stepping into the shoes of a man (originally played by Raghava Lawrence) who gets possessed by ghosts in the Hindi remake of superhit Tamil horror-comedy Kanchana. But there’s a catch.Akshay’s character won’t be scared of the spirits in the Hindi remake of Kanchana, as it was shown in the Tamil film. Additionally, he will be possessed by only one ghost – a transgender named Lakshmi – and not by three. Kiara Advani has been paired opposite Akshay and will be playing the role of his onscreen wife. Unlike the original Tamil film, Kiara’s role will be meatier and prove to be crucial in the exorcism sequence.”While the premise remains the same, Akshay’s character has been chalked out as one who doesn’t fear the supernatural. The makers also reworked the narrative to create a meaty role for Kiara Advani, who plays Akshay’s wife. In the original film, the hero’s mother and sister-in-law have pivotal parts. In the Hindi counterpart, the sequence where Akshay’s character is possessed by a ghost – the turning point in the story – will take place at Kiara’s house. Her character will play a crucial role in his exorcism. Finally, Akshay will be possessed by one ghost – that of the transgender, Lakshmi – and not three ghosts as seen in the Tamil movie,” a source was quoted as saying by Mid-Day.The Hindi remake of Kanchana will be directed by Raghava Lawrence, who had directed the Tamil version as well in 2011. Kiara and Akshay, who are currently shooting for Good News, will soon start shooting for the film.
Flawed autopsy makes murder into suicide. Prothom Alo IllustrationFlawed autopsy reports submitted by investigating officers to the court merely often make murder seem like suicide, according to a report of Police Bureau of Investigation (PBI).The PBI report says the forensic reports of dead bodies clearly state marks of injuries. In some incidents, surroundings also indicate the evidence of murder. But investigating officers did not take all these matters into account. Incidents earlier called suicide were often later found to be murder.The investigation organisation PBI submitted a report of 10 incidents of such murders to the police headquarters.Analysing the report, Prothom Alo found police often did not carry out any investigation of a murder. Due to political influence, bribes, negligence and partiality, police has submitted reports of suicide rather than murder.Experts said it is a failure of investigation to declare suicide despite clear evidence of murder.Former inspector general of police (IGP) Nurul Huda said, “It seems the investigating officers and physicians are influenced. Bribes may be exchanged. It is a flaw of the entire system. Those who are involved in the process should be brought to book.”Police recovered a body identified as Anisur Rahman from a residence at Chawk Bazar in the capital on 23 June in 2010. After an autopsy at Dhaka Medical College Hospital, physicians stated that Anisur Rahman had committed suicide. Members of the police, detective branch (DB) of police and Criminal Investigation Department (CID) made a similar observation.As Anisur Rahman’s brother Jahangir Mia, plaintiff of the case, rejected the investigation report for the third time, the court ordered PBI to carry out further investigation. After five years, the PBI investigation unearthed that Anisur Rahman was killed due to a love affair. Two accused persons arrested in connection with the incident gave confessional statements before the court. PBI Dhaka Metropolitan police super Abul Kalam Azad said there were stab marks and evidence of bleeding on the back of his head, three stab marks on the left thigh and a bruise on the left of his chest. These were also mentioned in the forensic report. A bloodstained chisel was left on the spot. But physicians who carried out autopsy and the investigation officers did not consider these. Without carrying out autopsy properly, physicians said ti was suicide.The forensic report of the body of housemaid SumaiaAkhtar Farhana from Sreepur, Gazipur, pointed to different injuries on her body. According to the autopsy report, Sumaia committed suicide. Accordingly, police submitted the investigation report to the court as an incident of suicide.Nilufar Akhtar Bakhara, 25, mother of three, was throttled to death by her brother-in-law in Sreenagar of Munsiganj on 11 February 2016. Following the autopsy and other reports, physicians at Sir Salimullah Medical College said she committed suicide. Police and CID in their reports mentioned the incident as suicide. Later PBI investigation found her brother-in-law throttled her to death after failing to rape her.Mizanur Rahman, a second-year student at Islamic history department of Rajshahi University, was choked to death. His girlfriend Sumaia Nasrin was suffocated to death with a pillow after being raped. But according to the autopsy report, Mizanur committed suicide. The rape of Sumaia was not confirmed through DNA test.According to PBI, physicians involved in carrying out autopsy are highly dependent on morgue assistants. The autopsy report is changed under influence of different influential people while senior physicians do not participate in the autopsy for fear of becoming witnesses. Additional deputy inspector general at PBI, Mainul Islam said good quality equipment has to be utilised for the autopsy report. Physicians involved in carrying out the autopsy report should be given financial incentives, he said.Chairman of the forensic medicine department of Suhrawardy Medical College Hospital and president of Medicolegal Society of Bangladesh, Selim Reza observed physicians are influenced by political and influential quarters.Deputy inspector general of CID, Bhanu Lal Das, said physicians should not give any opinion as to whether a person was killed or committed suicide. “The physicians will tell the cause of death. Police will dig out murder or suicide.”*This report, originally published in Prothom Alo print edition, has been rewritten in English by Rabiul Islam.
Mirza Fakhrul Islam Alamgir casts his vote at Thakurgaon Government Girls’ High School, Thakhurgaon around 8:30am on Sunday. Photo: Mojibor RahmanBNP secretary general Mirza Fakhrul Islam Alamgir on Sunday alleged that the people were obstructed from going to polling stations and it was done with the help of the administration, reports UNB.”I informed the returning officer and the administration of the matter but they didn’t take any action,” he told a press briefing at his Thakurgaon residence in the afternoon after visiting different polling centres.Fakhrul observed that the people have no confidence in the election commission, the administration and the state institutions.”The most pathetic thing is that all these things are being done keeping the army men standing like statues. I think it’s also damaging the army,” he said.Alleging that the government has plunged the nation into a ‘protracted problem’ by holding such an election, Fakhrul said they will take a decision on the election once the voting is over.About the decisions of some party candidates to boycott the election, the BNP leader said anyone can boycott the election individually. “We’re in the election till 4pm and take the decision after that.”He termed it a ‘protracted wound’ for the country which cannot be healed. “People will have to suffer from a sense of disbelief,” he said.The BNP general secretary earlier said if people could exercise their franchise freely, the Jatiya Oikya Front would surly win the national election.He made the remarks while talking to reporters after casting his vote at the Thakurgaon Government Girls’ School center around 8:30am.The voting in the 11th national election began at 8am and ended at 4pm without any break amid reports of irregularities, including overnight stuffing of ballot boxes, and capturing of polling stations, and violence in different parts of the country, leaving 13 people dead.